Fremantle Stuff > buildings >
William Street, Lots 374, 375, designed by Oldham and Eales
William Detmold Ltd was a printing firm founded in 1899. Later it became Spicers. This building was demolished in September 1970. The site, together with the site of the former Brockhoff building (all now a carpark), was acquired 2021 by Fiveight, a company of Tattarang, part of the Andrew Forrest empire.
Photo 1920, from Wikipedia.
The Detmold building features in an important photograph (c. 1913, City Library 522A) together with the very helpful text provided by the Fremantle Library. Click/tap on the photo to see it at its full size.
Text accompanying the FHC photo.
Panoramic view of Fremantle looking west from Town Hall. Note:
The Federal Hotel in William Street, opened July 1887. Proprietor Mr. J.A. Herbert.
J.W. Porter's business in William Street. Sold 1914, re-established in William Street 1936. The firm moved to Murphy Street, O'Connor in 1959. See: B/Porter.
William Detmold Ltd. William Street, opened in August 1899. Later known as Spicers Ltd. Demolished September 1970.
Burns Philp and Company, Newman Street (not shown in copy, refer to original). Constructed in 1898 as Monger's West Australian Stores Ltd. Architect Archer William Hoskings ( 1868-1911). Occupied by Burns Philp 1905/1906, demolished September 1971. See: 725.35 Miscellany File.
Fremantle Oval, grandstand (1897) and oval entrance (replaced by brick entrance c1914) This brick entrance was demolished January 1986. A new entrance was built in late 1985 in conformity with the Parry Street extension.
Warders Quarters in Henderson Street.
Roof of Scots Church in South Terrace. Foundation stone laid by Sir John Forrest on 26.03.1890. The architect was J. Talbot Hobbs. The Church was completed by November 1890 for a cost of 2,000 pounds.
Pensioner Barracks, South Terrace. Built c1850s and occupied by the enrolled pensioner force. During 1914-1918 war, used as the No. 8 General Australian Hospital. Later Immigrants Home, demolished 1950s. Stan Reilly Frail aged Lodge now on site, completed 1976. See: 725.18 Miscellany File.
Fremantle Technical College, corner South Terrace and Essex Street. Built 1912, designed by P.W.D. under Hillson Beasley.
Essex Street - Instone and Co. According to Kerr, the factory and showrooms were constructed c1906 at a cost of £865/4s. Architect: J.F. Allen; Contractor: C. Moore.
Port Mill - see 725.4 Miscellany File.
Kings Theatre (two storey building in centre of photograph). Built for James Gallop, the foundation stone was laid on 20.02.1904.
Rear of Manning Buildings, South Terrace, 1902.
Literary Institute, South Terrace, built 1899, Architects: Wilkinson, Smith and Wilson. Opened 15.03.1899 by Elias Solomon. Work carried out by L. Burness for a total cost of 1,528 pounds.
Rear of Imperial Restaurant (opposite Literary Institute).
The site was acquired c. 2021 by Fiveight, a company of Tattarang, part of the Andrew Forrest empire. Fiveight also acquired the Orient Hotel in 2018, and also has plans for 45 Phillimore Street (another tavern?)
Andrew Forrest's Fiveight company has revealed plans to build a six-storey, 117-room boutique hotel in the centre of Fremantle, on the former Spicers site, on the corner of William Street and the Henderson Street mall.
The $35 million project would include basement parking, but for only 48 cars, shops, and a rooftop terrace with swimming pool. The hotel will be in a U-shape with a large courtyard.
If the plans are approved, construction will commence in 2023 and the hotel would be ready to welcome visitors by 2025.
Garry Gillard | New: 29 June, 2022 | Now: 24 July, 2022