Freotopia > churches >

St Matthew's Church and Hall

Stirling Square, Guildford, street address: Meadow Street

Heritage Council:
History
St Matthew's Church was built in 1873 by Matthew Wallace to the designs of F. Sherwood and located on the site of the earlier church of 1860, which was destroyed by a hurricane in 1872. The building is in the Gothic style; the west end includes a porch and a bellcote surmounting the gable.
The original organ was the 1878 Clifton instrument originally in St John's Church, Fremantle and now placed in St Aidan's Uniting Church, Claremont. The present organ was built in 1911 by J.E. Dodd.
Roof was originally shingled but was damaged by fire in 1926 and timber shingles were replaced by terracotta tiles. The hall was built adjacent to the church. The architects were Hobbs, Smith and Forbes, and the builders were Chapman and Firth.
Physical Description
Current church is orange brick building with tail lancet windows and steeply pitched roof with brick gables. Painted render applied up to sill height.
Church is cruciform in plan with porticos to nave and southern transept. Nave is oriented east-west. Church and hall stand at centre of Stirling Square which contains numerous sugar gums planted in 1874 in avenues.

References and Links

Heritage Council page


Garry Gillard | New: 8 May, 2022 | Now: 23 November, 2023