Fremantle Stuff > town lots

Town Lot 25 and 26

Cliff Street, at the NE corner with Croke Lane.

The earliest owners of Lots 25 and 26 recorded by Hitchcock (1929) were W.S. Rogers and Philip H. Dod, respectively

Town Lots 25 and 26 are in 2022 occupied by Tannock Hall of Education (named for the first VC, Peter Tannock) is a 2010 NDU building on the corner of Cliff and Croke Streets. It was designed by Marcus Collins and built by Fairweather W & Son. The Pier Hotel once stood here.

Hitchcock, writing in 1919, describing the eastern side of Cliff Street, south of High Street, as he remembered it was in 1869:
The corner now occupied by the Bank of New South Wales was vacant land, and next to it was the offices and store of Mr. Robert King, one of our earliest merchants. Of these only the store (which was later occupied by the W.A. Bank) now remains. The private residences of Messrs. King, Vincent, Dr. Shipton and others occupied the remaining space down to the Pier Hotel corner, which was then unbuilt upon. The only other buildings in the Cliff-street of that day were the Water Police Station and quarters at the corner of Marine-terrace ; these were practically rebuilt in later times, but were used for their original purposes until the recent disbandment of the water police, or rather, their amalgamation with the land forces.

References and Links

Fremantle History Centre. Look for the PDFs called:
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1829-1837
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1855-1879

Hitchcock, J.K. 1919, 'Early Days of Fremantle: High Street 50 Years Ago'Fremantle Times, one of a series of articles on 'Early Days of Fremantle' publ. 21 March - 20 June 1919.

streetsoffreo.com.au page for 18 Cliff Street.


Garry Gillard | New: 3 December, 2022 | Now: 14 December, 2022