Fremantle Stuff > town lots

Town Lots 29 & 30

Corner of Mouat and High Streets.

The earliest owner of Lots 29 and 30 recorded by Hitchcock (1929) was Captain Thomas Bannister who arrived on the Atwick in 1829. On part of both lots now stands the building constructed in 1901 for the Commercial Bank, at 20 High Street. Also on Lot 30, in High Street, are the former National Bank at 16, and the former Bank of Australasia at 18. Notre Dame University's School of Nursing & Midwifery is in the Commercial Bank at 7 Mouat Street.

Hitchcock, writing in 1919, describing that part of High Street, as he remembered it was in 1869: 'Next to the chemist’s shop was a small cottage occupied by a Customs tide-waiter named Moran, and from thence to the corner of Mouatt-street was vacant land carrying a luxuriant crop of castor oil trees.'

References and Links

Fremantle History Centre. Look for the PDFs called:
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1829-1837
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1855-1879

Hitchcock, J.K. 1919, 'Early Days of Fremantle: High Street 50 Years Ago'Fremantle Times, one of a series of articles on 'Early Days of Fremantle' publ. 21 March - 20 June 1919.

Streets of Freo page for the 7 Mouat Street, including a list of occupants.


Garry Gillard | New: 2 December, 2022 | Now: 17 December, 2022