Fremantle Stuff > town lots

Town lot 409

NW corner of High and Pakenham Streets

The earliest owner of Lot 409 (and 408) recorded by Hitchcock (1929) was W.M. Dixon.

Mason's Building (1908), lot 409, 66-70 High Street, previously tenanted by Commonwealth Bank, is now occupied by Viva Travel, with Hush Coffee (68) and the Chart & Map Shop (70) on the street front of the eastern portion of the building.

Hitchcock 1919, describing the situation as he recalled it in 1869:
From the next corner of Packenham-street, right up to the Market-street every block was built upon, some of the structures being of a very primitive type. On the Packenham-street corner [lot 409] was a retail store kept by Herbert Dixon ...

The premises on Lot 409 were occupied by druggist Richard Birch and family 1880-1:
Garrick & Jeffery 1987:
Information on the location of Birch’s shop was provided by Larraine Stevens from Rate Books at Fremantle City Library. Between 1880 and 1881 the druggist occupied Lot 409 (presently No. 66 High Street) on which was a shop and dwelling. Between 1882 and 1889 his family moved to Lot 423 High Street and then back to Lot 409 between 1890 and 1899. [footnote, p. 28]

References and Links

Garrick, Phyl & Chris Jeffery 1987, Fremantle Hospital: A Social History to 1987, Fremantle Hospital.

Hitchcock, J.K. 1919, 'Early Days of Fremantle: High Street 50 Years Ago'Fremantle Times, one of a series of articles on 'Early Days of Fremantle' publ. 21 March - 20 June 1919.

Fremantle History Centre. Look for the PDFs called:
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1829-1837
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1855-1879


Garry Gillard | New: 2 December, 2022 | Now: 30 July, 2023