Freotopia > town lots

Town Lot 416

Corner of High and Market Streets

Lot 416 was first purchased in 1832 by John Hole Duffield for his son Charles. According to City Library records (see references) he continued to own it until the record runs out in 1879, and that M. Higham (Mary?) owned half of the lot from 1876. Charles and his elder brother, another John Hole Duffield, built their first shop on the site - a general store. Charles left for South Australia in 1867. By 1868 the shop was occupied by Abraham Moise Josephson. The National Bank, first bank in Fremantle, was on the eastern portion of the Lot in the 1860s. It is that which gave the later hotel its name, when the Highams came to own it in 1886.

Probably the earliest photo of Lot 416 (on the corner, right) –  by Stephen Stout, c. 1865, SLWA. The crossing street in the foreground (right) might be Market Street. If it is, that is Josephson's shop at the right. It's even possible that is Abraham Josephson standing outside it.

References and Links

Fremantle History Centre. Look for the PDFs called:
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1829-1837
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1855-1879


Garry Gillard | New: 2 December, 2022 | Now: 10 November, 2023