Fremantle Stuff > town lots

Town Lot 420

High Street, south side, from Market Street to Pakenham Street.
The earliest owner of Lot 410 (and Lot 421) recorded by Hitchcock (1929) James A. Moulton.
In 2022: Davies Building - eastern half demolished and replaced by a single-storey building that used to be the TAB, now offices.

Hitchcock 1919, describing the situation as he recalled it was in 1869:
Then came the pawnbroker’s shop of Mr. Alfred Davies, whose penny tokens were always accepted as current coin, and some of which may still be occasionally seen. On the next allotment standing back from the street, was a neat two-storied dwelling house, occupied by Mr (now Major) G.B. Humble, who held the position of headmaster of the Government school from 1864 to 1889, and that of Town Clerk for many years afterwards, filling both offices concurrently for a lengthy period. He is still hale and active at the age of 80.

References and Links

Hitchcock, J.K. 1919, 'Early Days of Fremantle: High Street 50 Years Ago'Fremantle Times, one of a series of articles on 'Early Days of Fremantle' publ. 21 March - 20 June 1919.

Fremantle History Centre. Look for the PDFs called:
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1829-1837
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1855-1879


Garry Gillard | New: 2 December, 2022 | Now: 16 December, 2022