Freotopia > town lots

Town Lot 433

Market Street, corner of Bannister Street.

This Lot and the adjacent Lot 448 on the corner of Nairn Street were set aside in 1830 as the first burial plot in Fremantle. There is no record of who was buried in it, nor when it became a normal commercial site after the Alma Street Cemetery was opened in 1831.

Hutchison:
The building is at nos. 85-87 Market Street, opposite the Newport. This site was owned by Amalia Dixon in 1880, when there were a residence and two cottages on the site. She owned the property until 1900; her trustees owned it until 1920 and they owned it in partnership with J.J. Holmes until 1931. In 1883 the rate books listed a new shop, almost certainly the existing building, and Amalia Dixon was recorded as the shopkeeper. The properties had various lessees over following years. By c. 1894 the lessees were butchers, Reen and Headley, to be Followed, in 1896, by another firm of butchers, Baker and Stevens. In 1898 a third firm of butchers, Holmes Brothers, were occupants; they remained until 1910-11. In the 1920s there was an auction room, possibly in part of the building. The funeral directors, Arthur E. Davies and Co., were in the building from 1921, and in 1958 commissioned substantial alterations, which concealed some of the original facade. Another firm of funeral directors, Bowra and O’Dea was there from 1982 to 2004. When they left, the building was restored - to what appears, from a photograph, to be its original condition - revealing the elaborate brick and stucco facade. The awning is unusual for Fremantle, being markedly curved and supported on decorative iron brackets. The restoration was under the direction of John Kirkness.

References and Links

tba


Garry Gillard | New: 21 March, 2023 | Now: 14 January, 2024