Fremantle Stuff > town lots

Town Lot 55

Lot 55 now has a street address in Phillimore Street, though it would originally have been thought of as being in Henry Street, as Phillimore Street was only created after enough of the river had been filled in. The new building of NDU's School of Health Sciences is now on Lot 55. It was designed, like another two or three of Notre Dame's new buildings in the West End, by the firm of Marcus Collins, who died in 2015.

The first owner of Lot 55 (and Lot 56) (as recorded by Hitchcock) was William Heard. In 1844, Heard's boatshed was on Lots 55-56. On the 1844 map redrawn by R.M. Campbell the house on Lot 56 is designated as that of 'Mrs Heard'. The 'boat building house' is mostly on Lot 55. Phillimore Street is not shown on the map as being in existence at that time.

References and Links

Fremantle History Centre. Look for the PDFs called:
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1829-1837
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1855-1879

Hitchcock, 1929.


Garry Gillard | New: 15 February, 2023 | Now: 15 February, 2023