Fremantle Stuff > town lots

Town Lot 57

Henry Street, between High and Phillimore Streets.

The first owner of Lot 57 (as recorded by Hitchcock, 1929) was John Gresswell.

Lot 57 and 58, 3-5 Henry St, collectively known as the Quartermaine Building, 1903, are used as Power Labs office, and dwellings.

Erickson:
GRESSWELL, John, b. 1798, d. 27.7.1882 (Perth), arr. 18.11.1831 per Jolly Rambler with family, m. (UK) Henrietta b. 1800 d. 29.9.1888. Chd. Henrietta Maria b. 1824 d. 1920, Caroline Louisa b. 1826/8 d. 1871. Alfred William b. 1836 d. 1862 (N.Z.). Charterer or owner of the Jolly Rambler. Formerly a master manufacturing goldsmith in London. Offered his services as Govt. Assayer, but in 1832 would have been content with a job as a Govt. messenger. Selected 920 acres Sussex District 1832. Opened Vauxhall Tavern Frem.* 1840 & owned two lots, also in Perth in 1859 & 1860. Employed a T/L jeweller 1868 in his Perth business. Stalwarts of RC church but supported petitions for Protestant clergy.

*The Vauxhall Tavern was not in Fremantle but near the channel dug through the Point Walter spit.

References and Links

Fremantle History Centre. Look for the PDFs called:
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1829-1837
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1855-1879


Garry Gillard | New: 18 December, 2022 | Now: 15 February, 2023