Fremantle Stuff > town lots

Town Lot 61

NW corner of High and Henry Streets

The original grantee of Lot 61 (and the adjacent Lot 44) was P.H. Dod. He arrived in 1829 on the Atwick and left in 1832 on the Cornwallis. Dod was granted town lots 26, 38, 44, 61, and sublot E.

Erickson:
DOD, Philip H., b. 1810. arr. 19.10.1829 per Atwick with servants John & Sarah Limer. Granted 6520 acres, selecting 2000 in Swan district in 1829 & 4520 in Plantagenet in 1831. He was a relative of the London merchant Henry Dod & Co. who had extensive business with the first settlers. Philip Dod opened a store at Frem. 1830. He sought permission to leave the colony 17.1.1832 per Cornwallis.

Erickson records that Philip Dod had a shop in 1830. As he was granted both lots 44 and 61 - all of the land on the north side of High Street between Mouat and Henry Streets, his shop was probably there.

An 1844 map, as redrawn by R.M. Campbell, shows P.H. Dod still in possession of Lot 44, but 'Francisco's New House' is shown on Lot 61.

Hitchcock, 1919, writes that this corner block was vacant in 1869.

The Adelec Building is currently (2023) on Lot 61.

References and Links

Fremantle History Centre. Look for the PDFs called:
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1829-1837
Purchasers of Fremantle Town Lots 1855-1879

Hitchcock, J.K. 1919, 'Early Days of Fremantle: High Street 50 Years Ago'Fremantle Times, one of a series of articles on 'Early Days of Fremantle' publ. 21 March - 20 June 1919.


Garry Gillard | New: 4 December, 2022 | Now: 14 February, 2023