Fremantle Stuff > people >
Thomas Bailey took over the running the Bush Inn aka Halfway House and Prospect Place from John Butler in 1835. He had been farming at Matilda Bay.
The Inn was licensed to trade from April 1830. It was on the Perth-Fremantle track, and apparently in the area bounded by the present Forrest, McNeil and View Streets and the river - near enough to it to be a stopping-off for river traffic as well as for travellers on the track. It was in Swan Location 84, which is today's Peppermint Grove.
Bolton & Gregory:
Thomas Bailey continued to run the Bush Inn. Custom was steady until 1838, when the Perth to Fremantle route was altered to the alignment of what would later be the Stirling Highway, leaving the Bush Inn isolated and unable to cater for travellers on the new road. ...
In 1837 Bailey made over the lease to Robert Powis, a tailor, who allowed the inn licence to lapse within a year but remained at Prospect Place with his family and continued his tailoring. ...
BAILEY. Thomas, b. 1796. d. 14.2.1856, arr. 15.12.1829 per Gilmore with family, wife Ann b. 1798 d. 16.8.1830 in childbirth. Chd. Arthur Thomas b. 1821/2 d. 1887, Thomas b. 1823, Annie Elizabeth b. 1824 d. 1889, Edith b. 1826/7, chd. b. 1830 d. infancy. Labourer to Thomas Peel. In 1833 was granted 320 acres Matilda Bay Swan River, which he sold in 1839. Worked as a wood cutter. To York, bt. Town Lots 1854 & 16 acres at Beverley 1856. Held pastoral leases of 2528 acres. In 1843 employed a Parkhurst boy.
Bolton, Geoffrey & Jenny Gregory 1999, Claremont: A History, UWAP.
Downey, H.S.G. c. 1971, Mosman Park, UWAP.
Pascoe, Robert 1983, Peppermint Grove: Western Australia's Capital Suburb, OUP.
Tuckfield, Trevor 1971, 'Early colonial inns and taverns', Part 1, Early Days: Journal and proceedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 3: 65-82; Part 2, 7, 7: 98-106.
Garry Gillard | New: 27 May, 2021 | Now: 29 May, 2021