Fremantle Stuff > people >
John Healy came from County Clare, Ireland. He had a large dairy farm called 'Winterfold', in the area indicated by the road of that name and owned much property between Spearwood and Fremantle. Healy Road is parallel with Winterfold Road. He also named Phoenix Road after Phoenix Park in Dublin, where the assassination of the British Chief Secretary for Ireland occurred in 1882. Clontarf Road was also apparently named by him after the suburb of Dublin. He was made a Police Constable in 1867. He was a life-long supporter of Home Rule for Ireland.
His 1890 house forms the original, central part of the former Portuguese Club Building at 2 Strang Street Beaconsfield. The Portuguese Club former website included this cutting from IC, Inside Cover, page 2 of the West Australian newspaper (nd).
HEAL(E)Y, John. b. 1823 (Co. Clare Ireland), d. 24.4.1898 (Sth Frem), son of Michael & Ann, arr. 12.2.1858 per Lochnagar with Denis? m. 14.11.1861 (Frem) Ann Elizabeth RYAN, she arr. 26.12.1860 per Escort or 6.4.1859 per Hamilla Mitchell. Chd. (All Frem RC), EIlen Teresa b. 1862 d. 1892, Annie Mary b. 1863 d. 1898, Michael b. 1865, Elizabeth C.F. b. 1867, John James b. 1869, Maud Mary b. 1872, Margaret Louisa b. 1874, Julie b. 1875, Jane b. 1875, Amata Mary b. 1878, William Henry b. 1879. Frem. Town Lots 1865. ?Police Constable 1867. 1870s 1000ac. Spearwood, & 250ac. Bibra Lake. "Winterfold" - used as bullock paddocks for meatworks by 1900. Employed 3 T/L men 1873-1871. Farmer & grazier 1873-1875. Limeburner 1875-1889 & carter 1876-1877, ?plasterer 1888.
Heritage Council page
Healy house page
Garry Gillard | New:1 June, 2015 | Now: 25 June, 2022