Fremantle Stuff > people >
1865 - 30 June 1934, of Eveleigh, 171 Hill St (now 9 Knutsford St, opposite the War Memorial)
Fred Instone is remembered for his handsome wood-stoves, some of which are still in Fremantle houses today . Instone was a Staffordshire man who came to Fremantle in 1889 on a three-year contract to manage the large Fremantle engineering factory, W. Sandover and Co. When his contract was up, he began manufacturing plumbing supplies and stoves in Croke Street. His timing was good, as the rushes to the eastern goldfields generated a building boom in Fremantle.
As a young man with a strong voice, Fred Instone was prominent in musical and dramatic groups. Soon after his arrival, he joined St John’s Church choir as the tenor soloist. He was briefly (1892-95) a member of the Fremantle Town Council before retiring to concentrate on his business. He was also a member and chair of the Fremantle Hospital Board and, when he retired in 1912, was invested with the “freedom of the hospital”.
At Fred Instone’s funeral, Canon E. M. Collick referred to his sense of justice and kindness. His wife, Evelyn, was also noted for her philanthropic work – together, the Instones had provided support for many soldiers returning from World War 1. Ron Davidson, MCB.
THE LATE MR. FRED INSTONE.
Funeral at Fremantle.
The funeral of the late Mr. Fred Instone, J.P., of Eveleigh, 171 Hill-street, Fremantle, and late of Messrs. F. Instone and Co., Ltd., Fremantle, took place in the Church of England portion ot the Fremantle cemetery on Saturday morning, in the presence of a large gathering. The Rev. Canon E. M. Collick conducted a service at Mr. Instone's home, and also officiated at the graveside.
Mr. Instone was born at Wolverhampton (England), and had been a resident of Fremantle for 45 years. He was for some years a member of the board of the Fremantle Hospital, of which he was for a time chairman. He took a keen interest in municipal affairs, and was a councillor of the Fremantle Council from 1898 to 1901. Canon Collick, in an address at the graveside, referred to his sense of justice and kindness.
The chief mourners were Messrs. A. R. and L. I. Strutton and F. G. Higham (nephews). The pall-bearers were the Mayor of Fremantle (Mr. F. E. Gibson), Messrs. H. J. Craig, R.M., G. L. Davidson (Commercial Travellers' Association of W.A.), J. W. Bateman (Chamber of Commerce, Fremantle), Captain Robert Laurie, Messrs. C. M. Purdie, J.P., Charles Hudson, Frank Cadd, J.P., F. C. Feely, W. H. Davies, S. E. Grimwood, and W. Hooper.
Among those present were Mr. W. C. Angwin, Mr. J. J. Holmes, M.L.C., the Mayor of North Fremantle (Mr. A. Turton), Crs. R. Gordon, W. P. Griffiths, R. Rennie and J. M. Farrell, Inspector Spedding Smith, Dr. H. J. Lotz, Captains R. J. Sinclair, A. Mills, J. H. Chilvers, and H. J. Clark, Messrs. Tom Carter (chairman), and G. V. McCartney (manager, Fremantle Harbour Trust), B. Fannon, R. G. Rule, W. T. Lang, F. Browne, R. C, E. and J. C. Purdie, F. and A. L. Gibson (Instone and Co.), Harry Bennett (manager, Fremantle Harbour Works), A. T. Hookway (Fremantle Hospital Board), W. J. Winterbottom (president), and E. T. Marillier (secretary, W.A. Turf Club), F. E. Hounslow (Metters, Ltd.), J. H. Marshall (Mc Lean Bros, and Rigg), F. Simper (Westralian Farmers, Ltd.). N. H. Simpson (Fremantle R.S.L.), S. T. Reilly (John Lysaght, Ltd.), L. Facius, F. Sears and F. R. Tebbutt (Dalgety and Co.), D. F. Garvey (Bank of Australasia), M. H. J. Otto (W.A. Employers' Federation), E. S. Barker and G. B. Thompson (W.A. Trustee Co.). S. J. Mills and W. Harburn (Mills and Ware, Ltd.), W. H. Tickell, J. D. Morrison, H. Price, E. M. Blythe, R. D. Hancock, J. W. Hugall, J. A. Wilson, and C. H. Nicholas (Fremantle Golf Club), Const. D. Stewart, Messrs. C. W. Walker, M. and W. Blackwood, A. Furphy, J. Wilkins, G. E. Lovegrove, T. Bucknell, A. J. Mitchell, A. H. Bryant, A. S. Chipper, W. J. Sumpton, J. Samson, J. Cooke, F. C. Thorsen, J. C. Finch. H. Holmes, A. R. V. Mackay, J. H. Barsden, C. Rudland, L. C. Manning, C. W. Arnott, H. W. Caesar, H. G. Smith, Lea Arnutt, J. A. Lilly, J. V. Banfield, W. Potter, M. E. Solomon, A. F. Collyer, A. C. Shack, T. Ullrich, J. Rudland, W. Bateman, T. O. Guiders, G. Waterhouse, W. Merralls, F. E. Wigmore, A. P. Hamilton, G. E. Pearse, J. E. Abbott, C. Parsons, G. S. Staton, A. G. Knox, C. A. Hudson, W. Hancock, J. H. Payne, J. A. Naylor, J. M. Purser, R. B. Carter, H. H. Oxbrow, P. C. Webster, W. J. Jennings, W. C. Barrett, J. A. Hicks, R. L. and A. W. Campbell, N. Jefferies, A. Fleming, A. E. Forbes, A. Ewens, C. H. Bolton, K. B. Bolton (representing L. B. Bolton). S. R. Pearse, G. H. Wheeler, G. Ridgway, A. Sandover, H. A. Herbert, R. A. Smith. A. T. Wardle, W. E. Collins, P. W. Smith, F. Hollis, R. McGovern, O. F. Ick, J. E. Wilson, H. M. Grose, W. F. Samson and P. Badham, and Mesdames C. M. Purdie, A. Rippen. J. Bryant and C. Rudland. The hearse was laden with beautiful floral tributes, among which were wreaths from all over the State, and widespread expressions of sympathy lave been extended to the bereaved relatives.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Arthur E. Davies and Co.
West Australian, Monday 2 July 1934: 6.
Note on Fred Instone's house at 9 Knutsford St from the Heritage Council page:
In 1894 the lot was vacant and owned by Arthur George Ing. In 1895 a four room cottage was built on the site, owned by John Frank. This is confusing as John Frank is listed as owning lot 807 in 1894 and 1896 and not lot 824. In 1896 three cottages are listed and each is owned and occupied by Frank Cadd, Thomas B. Grey and Frederick Instone. The first occupant of number nine was Frederick Instone. He arrived from Birmingham in 1889 and owned a plumbing business, Instone and co. He was prominent in social activities and dramatic and musical organisations. He was the tenor soloist of A [St?] Johns church choir. He was a councillor (1895-1899). He was a member and chairman of the Fremantle Hospital Board(1909-1913), a Justice of Peace and member of three horse racing clubs. The house was named "Eveleigh" after Fred Instone's wife. From 1934 to 1973 the house was occupied by members of the Higham family well known for their contribution to business and local and state government. Originally the pro [the note breaks off like that]
Instone and Co. in Essex Street. According to Kerr, the factory and showrooms were constructed c. 1906 at a cost of £865/4s. Architect: J.F. Allen; Contractor: C. Moore.
Metropolitan Cemeteries Board.
The West Australian, Monday 2 July 1934: 6.
Garry Gillard | New: 26 June, 2015 | Now: 29 June, 2022