Fremantle Stuff > people >
Fanny Pulford was the assistant teacher at Perth Girls School in 1861. She moved to Fremantle with her husband and used the former Rose and Crown Hotel, on the corner of High and Queen Streets, as a Girls School in 1867 (see photo below). In 1867 the Fremantle Herald provided a very positive article regarding a visit and examination of the school by respected members of the community including the resident Magistrate. Pulford was complimented on her management, teaching skills and attendance records of the children.
In 1872 Pulford was the Headmistress of the Fremantle Girls School; this was noted as the first government school in Fremantle. Apparently it was the one in this building. The Infants and Girls School in South Terrace was not established until 1877.
Pulford Lane, which runs from Coode Street to Robinson Street on the northern side of the noise walls on High Street, is named in honour of this pioneering schoolteacher.
Fremantle City Library
Garry Gillard | New: 20 May, 2016 | Now: 7 September, 2023