Freotopia > places > Goomburrup/Leschenault


In 1829, Dr Alexander Collie and Lieutenant Preston explored the area of Bunbury on land. In 1830 Lieutenant Governor Sir James Stirling visited the area and a military post was subsequently established; it only lasted six months.
The area was renamed Bunbury by the Governor in recognition of Lieutenant Henry William St Pierre Bunbury, who developed the difficult inland route from Pinjarra to Bunbury. >
Bunbury's first settlers were John and Helen Scott, their sons Robert, William and John Jr, and step-son Daniel McGregor, who arrived in January 1838. Bunbury township was mentioned in the Government Gazette in 1839, but lots in the township were not surveyed until 1841. In March 1841 lots were declared open for selection.
Intermittent bay whaling activity was conducted on the coast from the 1830s through to the 1850s.
By 1842 Bunbury was home to sixteen buildings including an inn. Thereafter, a growing port serviced the settlers and the subsequent local industries that developed.

References and Links

See also: Australind.

Barker, Anthony J. & Maxine Laurie 1992, Excellent Connections: A History of Bunbury, Western Australia 1836-1900, City of Bunbury.

Chase, Mrs E. 1927, 'Early days at Australind', Early Days, vol. 1, part 1: 45-54.

Clifton, E. 1927, 'The Founding of Australind', Early Days, vol. 1, part 1: 38-45.

Glossop, Verna 1977, 'The Properjohn family of Bunbury', Early Days, vol. 8, part 1.

Parks, R. G. 1990, 'The Bunbury town survey - A surveyor's view', Early Days, vol. 10, part 2.

Wikipedia page for Bunbury.

Bunbury Museum and Heritage Centre, Facebook.

Garry Gillard | New: 27 October, 2020 | Now: 15 April, 2024