Fremantle Stuff > places >

Willetton

Wikipedia:
[The suburb] Willetton's name derives from Henry Willett of Willett & Co, who was granted Canning Location 21 (roughly the location of modern Lynwood and Parkwood) and settled in the area in June 1832. In November 1964, the Shire of Canning proposed the names "Burtsdale" and "Willetton" for Willetton and Lynwood/Parkwood respectively, the name Burtsdale honouring Septimus Burt, who purchased the land in 1882. In August 1965, developers at Lynwood requested the name "Clovercrest Estate", but finally agreed to "Lynwood". The name Willetton was shifted westwards and gazetted in December 1965 within its present boundaries.

Erickson:
WILLETT, Henry, b. 1805, brother of William, arr. as mate of Faith & later as master of the vessel. He was permitted to select 8,000 acres taking part in the Canning & part in Avon districts. He sailed 23.5.1831 per Eagle. As master of Faith he brought about 50 tradesman into WA as well as merchandise, acting as agent for Messrs Morgan & King of Batavia. Failure in business placed him in the common gaol in Singapore in 1832, but his WA property was not affected because he operated as Henry Willett & Co, not as an individual.
WILLETT, William (Capt). Served on the West Australian schooner Ellen in Murchison waters & later had command of the Franklin, the supply ship for the Norfolk Is. penal settlement, until closure of that institution 1855. He married & settled at Hobart from which place he wrote to Lionel Lukin in WA giving him power of attorney to collect rents on Henry Willetton's property in WA. Parts of Canning Locations were sold in 1859. Willetton is named from these men.


Garry Gillard | New: 13 December, 2022 | Now: 13 December, 2022