Freotopia > West End >

Mouat Street

North to south.

Mouat Street was named after First-Lt J.A. Mouat, of HMS Challenger. Mouat, Henry and Pakenham Sts, in that order, are the 'lieutenant streets' (my coinage) being named respectively after the first, second, and third lieutenants on board Capt Fremantle's ship: J.A. Mouat, John Henry, and H. Pakenham. Mouat St used sometimes to be spelt with two Ts, as Mouatt-st. This street is now the heart of Notre Dame University Australia, with the CEO's office at 17-19.

His Maj

His Majesty's Hotel, Lots 39 & 40. The original hotel on the site at 2-8 Mouat St was His Lordship's Larder, a single-storeyed, yellow-painted building. The new hotel - more genteel in style - was obviously built to take advantage of the increased passenger liner trade. The current building, from 1890 - architect Thomas Anthoness, builder Mr Taylor - now part of NDUA, like most of the buildings in these six city blocks of the West End of Fremantle, was briefly called by the former name after its Americas Cup renovation. It was restored substantially in 1999. Now NDUA School of Religious Education, School of Teaching and College of Education.


Howard Smith Building, 1-5 Mouat Street, Lot 27.

It was built c. 1900 for a shipping company founded by Captain William Howard Smith in 1854, which was originally a freight and passenger service between Melbourne and Geelong.

After changing the name of the company to Howard Smith and Sons, it expanded its operations to include Western Australia in 1894.

Now ND43 School of Nursing and Midwifery.

12 Mouat

Adelaide Steamship Buildings, at 10-12 Mouat St since 1900, Lot 41. Architect: Oldham and Eales (1900), F.G.B. Hawkins (1947-48). Builder: C Coghill. As the Adelaide Steamship Company’s business expanded it needed a permanent office in Fremantle, so bought this site and commissioned the building, which was completed in 1900. The ground floor has granite plinths, rusticated walls and broad Doric pilasters, false balustrades under windows framed with heavily moulded pilasters supporting a pediment. The cornice is heavily moulded, with a balustraded parapet. In 1947-48, after severe fire damage, extensive work was carried out under the direction of F.G.B. Hawkins. It is now the residence of a former Deputy Mayor of Fremantle, who restored it in 1991.

14 Mouat

Fothergill building, built in 1896 for Edward Fothergill, Lot 42.

14 Mouat St has recently had a facelift.

It was also used by Adelaide Steamship Co.

It shares some elements of style, including Italianate stucco details, with No. 12.

In 2005 a penthouse added another two storeys to the building.


The German Consulate, 5 Mouat St, Lot 27, Architect: E.H. Dean Smith, was built in 1903 for William de Lacy Bacon. This is the most idiosyncratic of this architect's buildings. The German Consul, Carl Ratazzi, a wine and spirit merchant, and an accomplished linguist and brilliant orator, was also Acting Italian Consul, and was interned after the beginning of World War 1. He also represented the German shipping line Norddeutscher Lloyd, one of the earliest companies to make Fremantle a regular port of call. It was the first shipping line to deliver mail to Fremantle; other lines, at that time, delivered mail to Albany. The textured, rusticated stonework of the building is not common in Fremantle. The German connection may explain the design, which has echoes of old Bavarian architecture. At the outbreak of that War, NDL ships in Australian ports were commandeered and at the end of the war, they were retained by Australia as part of war reparations and used to found the Australian National Line. Many people remember this building from the 1990s as the Tarantella Nightclub. It is currently a B&B.

At 16 Mouat Street, Lot 43, is a commercial building apparently called the Kreglinger Building. No information available at present. It may be worth saying that the groundfloor facade recalls that of the Liebler Building facade in Cliff Street, which might make the date of this building 1890-5, but that's only my uninformed guess.

Former Bank of New South Wales, on the north-east corner, at 22 High Street and 18 Mouat Street, Lot 44. This former bank building, completed in 1892, for the Bank of Western Australia, is a fine example of Fremantle's neoclassic buildings. It was later occupied by the Bank of New South Wales (now known as Westpac Bank). The ground floor has an ashlar effect above limestone foundations. The decorative parapet has a pediment featuring a decorative arch with ‘AD1891’ in stucco. The entrance has a pediment supported by pilasters; the first floor has engaged Corinthian columns, with engaged pillars below the windows. This building may be compared with another former Bank of New South Wales further east in High Street; the latter has similar elements of style but the engaged columns on this building are more slender.
The building to the east in High St is the Cleopatra Hotel. The flag on the left of the picture normally flies over the Adelaide Steamship Company building.

20 High

The Commercial Bank, 1901, at 20 High St, on the NW corner of High and Mouat Sts, was later a branch of the National Bank of Australia. The Habgood family had a five-roomed cottage here in the nineteenth century. After Robert Habgood’s death in 1882, his wife sold the vacant portion of the property to the National Bank of Australia in 1884. The bank appears not to have been built until 1902. In 1960 the architects Hobbs Winning and Leighton designed renovations.


The P&O Hotel, Lots 45 & 46, Architects: Cavanagh and Cavanagh (1890s), Allen and Nicholas (1930s). On the south-east corner at 25 High Street, on the site of an earlier small hotel owned by the Pace Family. After the death of Mrs Pace—whose husband had died earlier—this hotel was managed by Mrs Scott and Pat Hagan and named the Victoria, although sailors who frequented it called it the ‘Cockpit’. In the 1890s it was purchased by Bernard O’Connor and Timothy Quinlan who commissioned a new building, which was completed in c. 1896. It demonstrates the architects’ liking for an exuberant style with a brick and stucco gabled facade. In the 1930s it was owned by the Bahen family, who held it for forty years. In 1938 they commissioned architects Allen and Nicholas to design internal alterations. Its verandas, removed in the 1960s, were reinstated in 2002, although, unfortunately, its clock tower, demolished in the 1930s, has not been restored. Now NDUA student accommodation.


Owston's Building, at 9-23 High Street (architect: F W Burwell, builder: R Rennie) occupy almost all of the space on the southern side of High St from Mouat St to Cliff St. It was built in 1903 for Captain Owston, a pioneer shipowner—he founded the shipping firm of Pearse and Owston. Owston died the same year, after commissioning the building. The former Sandover buildings were demolished to make way for it. The property was inherited by his grandson William Mason Owston. The ground floor facade is not original. One of the early occupants was Watsons Ltd, a smallgoods business, which was so successful that it opened several other stores in Fremantle and Perth under the name Watsonia. The building housed the Waterside Workers Federation, which purchased it in 1955. The federation subsequently moved to a new building in North Fremantle. In 2005 part of the building housed Notre Dame University's College of Business; at the other end of the building is the Roma Restaurant, established by Frank Abrugiato and his family in c. 1940. It was taken over by Nunzio Gumina when long-term owners the Abrugiato family sold out, and the name changed a little to Villa Roma. Nunzio now has a restaurant in his own name in Essex St, and the Roma has been renovated and opened again by Abrugiato family members as the Cucina Roma. Unfortunately, the Laminex is gone. It's now occupied by NDU.

26 Mouat

Patrick Hagan, the licensee of the Victoria Hotel (see P&O) had a house here, at 26 Mouat Street. In 1900 the Strelitz brothers purchased the site, demolished the house and built a warehouse. It's now the NDU Student Recreation Hall.


Silversmith Eric Carr converted the building at 28 Mouat Street , into his workshop and residence in 1976.

This building is now part of NDU - a Study Centre.


Strelitz Buildings, 1897, 30 Mouat Street. Architect: J.F. Allen. The Strelitz brothers pioneered direct trade between Europe and Western Australia and had an agency for Alfred Nobel’s Hamburg Explosive Company with agencies and magazines in the Goldfields. In 1897-98, Herbert Hoover—later President of the United States of America—was in the state to evaluate mines for an American company, Berwick, Moering and Co., which had offices in this building. Hoover returned in 1904 as a partner in the company. As German nationals, the Strelitz brothers were interned during World War I but remained owners until 1920 when it was bought by George Evans who established the first paint manufacturing business in the state. The building has Free Classical details on the facade and heavy modelling of stucco decoration. The lyre, symbol of Apollo, the god of fine arts, is incorporated, possibly to represent the brothers’ interest in fine arts. Both were patrons. Richard Strelitz brought St Petersburg china from Russia for the Western Australian Art Gallery. Now the NDUA Student Centre. Wikipedia page. Heritage Council page.

17 Mouat

What is now the headquarters of Notre Dame University at 17-19 Mouat Street was built in 1887 for hardware merchant William Sandover (c1856-c1921) who occupied it until 1923. Symington and Cameron, merchants, occupied it from 1948 to 1956 when it passed to Goldsborough Mort & Co.

25mouatNo. 25 was the site of an old picture garden and a row of six cottages. The Batemans built a warehouse in the 1880s, which was demolished in 1937, and the cottages in 1942. Now Said building is Prindiville Hall, part of NDU.

The NDU chapel, the Chapel of the Holy Spirit, is on the NE corner of Mouat Street and Croke Street, Lot 53. A carpark is on the other side of Croke Street, at the rear of the Masonic Hall, but functioning as a carpark for the Sailors Rest (Port Lodge) - both of which are on Marine Terrace.

27 Mouat

A former army drill hall between Croke St and Marine Tce.

This building is now an NDU function centre.

32 Mouat

Bateman's Hardware Store, at 32 Mouat St, was the major hardware store in Fremantle until the 1970s. It now houses Notre Dame University’s Library. The University has restored and adapted its buildings with restraint; this also has a paved courtyard.

Garry Gillard | New: 28 September, 2014 | Now: 18 November, 2023