Fremantle Stuff > people >
William Dixon arrived in Fremantle in 1829 on board the Marquis of Anglesea accompanied by wife Jane and 8 yr-old daughter Frances. He was a shoemaker from Nottingham who became a publican and storekeeper.
He was granted 2,268 acres in Swan Location, which he sold to Samuel Moore in 1834. He purchased Fremantle town lots in Mouat, Henry and Pakenham Streets. In 1830 he was granted a liquor licence for the George IV Public House. (It was a house on the SW corner of High and Cliff Streets, where W.F. Samson's house later stood c. 1855 – c. 1955. The site is a car park in 2022, and NDU was planning for a new building on it). In 1833 he was a store proprietor and general dealer. By 1860 the real estate he owned was valued at £1,000; he was qualified as a juror.
Hitchcock shows him as owning town lots 32, 68, 408/409, which were, respectively, in Mouat St, Henry St, and in Pakenham St – all the land between Leake and High Sts.
DIXON, William, b. 1794. d. 10.1.1875 (London), arr. 23.8.1829 per Marquis of Anslesea with wife & dtr. m. Jane Frances b. 1796 d. 20.8.1838 (Frem). Chd. Frances b. 1821, Georgina bp. 1830, Cora b. 1832, Georgiana b. 1833, Herbert b. 1836. Granted 2268 acres Swan Loc. sold to Samuel Moore 1834 "West Oakover". Lived at Frem. Licensee "George the Fourth" 1830. Listed later as Hotel Proprietor & store keeper. He was a general dealer by 1860 when he qualified as a juror with real estate valued at $I000. This man? employed a T/L man 1868.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Tuckfield, Trevor 1971, 'Early colonial inns and taverns', Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 3: 65-82; Part 2, Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 7: 98-106.
Welcome Walls entry.
Garry Gillard | New: 26 August, 2015 | Now: 22 January, 2023