Freotopia > port >

Workshop/store

Jack Kent, 1991:
EXISTING BUILDINGS ON VICTORIA QUAY
BUILDING NUMBER 11
WORKSHOP/STORE
History
The Workshop/Store was built between 1941 and 1950 on land that formed part of a reserve used by the Navy. It is probable that its construction was instigated as part of the defence operations and used by the Navy during the Second World War. Its proximity to the Boom Defence Buildings and the Residence for the Navy Commander would support this view. The building has since become used for general wharf related activities.
Construction
The Workshop/Store is basically of timber frame construction clad with metal sheet to the external walls and corrugated asbestos-cement sheeting on the roof. It has no refinement of detailing of other wharf buildings but is principally intact.
Assessment of Cultural Significance
The Workshop/Store contributes to the streetscape of Slip Street being sympathetic to the character of the other buildings along the street although it lacks the refined detailing thus the aesthetic qualities represented by other historic buildings of Victoria Quay. Its historical significance, as determined so far, would be limited to the association of past navy activities on Victoria Quay.

References and Links

Hutchison, David, Jack Kent, Agnieshka Kiera, Russell Kingdom, Larraine Stevens, Tanya Suba, 1991, Victoria Quay and its Architecture its History and Assessment of Cultural Significance, City of Fremantle; Part II: Jack Kent: 'Architectural evaluation of existing buldings and assessment of their cultural significance', 54 pp.


Garry Gillard | New: 19 November, 2022 | Now: 27 April, 2024