Freotopia > architects and builders
Joseph Allen designed: Trades Hall, 1904, Collie St; the Strelitz Building 30 Mouat St; the Seppelts warehouse, 7 Pakenham St. His firm, Allen & Nicholas, designed: the Chamber of Commerce Building; the monument on Monument Hill; renovations to the P&O Hotel, 1930s; the Halco warehouse at 8 Pakenham St on the corner with Short St, where Manning's Folly stood, and where there is now a new apartment building behind what's left of the facade.
Thomas Anthoness (1866-1950) designed: His Majesty's Hotel, 1890; the Wyola Club, 1903; Marmion Building [? Manning Building], cnr High & Market Streets, Fremantle; works for the Stanley Brewing Company [Beach Street?]; Manning Buildings, 36-50 South Terrace.
Hillson Beasley was the chief architect of the Public Works Department. He designed: the 'old' Customs House, 1908, Phillimore Street; the Post Office, 1907, in Market Street; the Technical College, [1910-] 1913, cnr South Terrace and Essex Street.
James Broomhall designed the Masonic Hall (extant) in Marine Terrace and the Johnston Memorial Congregational Church (not extant) in Adelaide Street.
Thomas Henry Johnson 'Satan' Browne was a nineteenth-century watercolourist and architect who produced paintings of buildings in Fremantle, WA. He built the Alta Gardens (Shenton Mill) South Perth.
Frederick Burwell designed: Owston's Building, 1903, 9-23 High St; the D&J Fowler Building at 38 Henry St; the Adelec building 28-36 High St; the Falk Building, cnr Phillimore and Henry Sts, 1896, 1903; Central Chambers, 1906, 61-63 High St; the King's Theatre, South Tce; the Freemasons Hotel (Sail & Anchor), 1903; the Victoria Pavilion Fremantle Oval, 1897.
Robin McKellar Campbell wrote a PhD dissertation on the construction of the Fremantle Prison, which was later published as a book, Henderson & Coy, Architecture, UWA, 2017.
Cavanagh & Cavanagh (Michael and James) designed: the 'old' Fire Station (1908); the P&O Hotel, 1890s; the Orient Hotel, 1902; Manning Chambers, cnr High and Williams Sts, 1906; the Newcastle Club Hotel, Market St, 1898. Michael Cavanagh (left) designed St Patrick's Basilica, 1900.
Marcus Collins designed the Tannock Hall of Education and the Health Sciences Research building for Notre Dame University in Fremantle.
Cox Howlett & Bailey Woodland designed the Maritime Museum, 2002. >
Herbert Nathaniel Davis designed: 1893 alterations and additions to the Pier Hotel at Cliff Street; converted premises in 1895 to form the first version of the Esplanade Hotel; the Lilly Building, 34-36 Cliff St, 1896; the Union Stores building on SE corner of Henry and High Sts for J&W Bateman (tho Hutchison has this as the work of J. McNeece); McDonald Smith Building, 22-32 Cliff St (Cliff Street Chambers); Tolley's warehouse, 1901, 1 Pakenham Street, Beaconsfield Hotel.
Drake & Whitwell (William Adams Drake, from Sydney, & Felix Joseph James Whitwell 1859-1936, from London) designed the Perth Stock Exchange building at 49 St George's Terrace, the foundation stone of which was laid by John Forrest in October 1895. (See Richard Offen 2018, Lost Perth: 112-113.) They may also have designed a building in Leake Street Fremantle, as I am informed by Ross McCay, Bill Drake's great-nephew, that an advertisement in the West Australian Saturday 20 February 1897, p. 6, has the firm calling for tenders for 'erection of a store in Leake Street Fremantle namely: excavations, foundations, brickwork and plastering'. It is not yet known which building this was or whether it was built.
Joseph Herbert Eales designed: the tramways barn at 1 High St; the Terminus Hotel; the Catholic Girls School; the Federal Hotel additions; St Paul's Beaconsfield, 1905. He also redesigned the Esplanade Hotel in 1903. With C.L. Oldham he designed the prize-winning Fremantle Markets in 1897. Eales & Cohen designed the Swan Hotel, 1923. Eales and Oldham designed the Detmold building.
Edmund Henderson 1821-1896, had a commission in the Royal Engineers, and was Comptroller-General of Convicts 1850-63. He also designed a large number of important public works, including: major parts of the Prison: the Gatehouse, the Main Cell Block Complex and the Prison Chapel, and more: his own house, the Knowle, the original Fremantle Hospital, still in its grounds.
J.J. Talbot Hobbs designed: Samson House, 1889; the Samson building in Cliff St, 1892; the Scots Presbyterian church, 1898; Victoria Hall, 1897; the Dalgety (Elder/Wilhemsen/MSC) building, 1902; the Dalgety (aka Samson) Bond Store, 1901; the Elder Shenton & Co Building, 37-45 Cliff St, now the home of local paper, The Fremantle Herald, on the corner of Croke Lane (formerly Dalgety St); and the NSW Bank, Mouat & High, 1899. His firm, Hobbs, Winning & Leighton, designed the Passenger Terminal (1962) and the Port Authority Building (1963) (at '1 Cliff St') on Victoria Quay.
Harris Jenkins Architects are working, inter alia, on hArbor, Josephson Street, and the 'Suffolk' Hotel, South Terrace.
Richard Roach Jewell (1810-1891, arr. Fremantle 1852) designed the Asylum, the Boys School (Sandford?), the Perth Gaol, Perth Courthouse, the Perth Town Hall, Wesley Church Perth, Public Trust Office, the Treasury, Pensioners Barracks Perth, The Cloisters (Hale's School), Toodyay Gaol, Roebourne residency and police station, Greenough police station and Geraldon residency (hospital). His own house in Perth was Belvedere.
Agniesha Kiera was the heritage architect for the Fremantle City Council for twenty-five years.
Gus Liebe designed and built the Peninsula Hotel, Maylands. He also built His Majesty's Theatre and Hotel, the Art Gallery, and more.
John McNeece designed: the Moore's building at 42-46 Henry St; the Union Stores Building, 41-47 High St (according to Hutchison; another source, J.J. Taylor, has Herbert Davis as the architect); Mason's Buildings (Commonwealth Bank), 66-70 High St, 1908; the Commercial Hotel, 1908, 80 High St; Atwell Buildings, 1895, High St (Mall), part of the Ajax Building, 1908, High St; Princess Theatre, 1912, 29-33 Market St.
Charles Lancelot Oldham designed: the Fremantle Markets, 1898, together with J.H. Eales, winning an award; the AUSNC building (known as the P&O building) at 17-19 Phillimore St; the McIlwraith Building (with Cox); Adelaide Steamship Building, 10-12 Mouat St (with Eales); the Esplanade Hotel, 1897; Bousfield's Building, 97-99 High St, 1897; Higham's Building, cnr Market & High Sts, 1893 (with Cox).
In 1931, Owen & Nicholas designed the Federal Stevedoring Company building at 3 Pakenham Street, currently (2021) the Republic of Fremantle gin palace.
Henry Reveley designed the Round House, 1831, and supervised the construction of the Whalers Tunnel (1838) underneath it. Another of his buildings still exists in the Supreme Court Gardens, Perth: the Old Court House. He came to the Colony with Governor Stirling, and worked under his direction, as chief engineer.
William Edward Robinson designed the Union Bank (1889) which still stands at 4 High St.
William Ayshford Sanford, the Colonial Secretary, designed the original section of the Boys School, 1856, in Adelaide St. He arrived in the Colony in 1851 on board the Anna Robertson.
Murray Slavin designed the Mediterranean Shipping Company building in Cliff St, 2016, adjacent to and conjoined with the Dalgety Building, cnr Phillimore St, which is tenanted (owned?) by the MSC.
E.H. Dean Smith designed: the adjacent Tannatt Chambers and Cellars buildings at 8 and 10 High St; Dock Buildings, 13-15 Phillimore St; the German Consulate (Tarantellas) at 5 Mouat Street. Dean is sometimes (by Hutchison, for example) spelt Deane. (The article on Dean Smith at www.architecture.com.au has become unavailable.)
Edwin Summerhayes (1868-1944) was born in London on 6 March 1868. Educated at Christ College, London, at sixteen years of age he accompanied his parents to Australia. In 1885 he commenced articles with James Hill in Adelaide, and completed them under William Pitt of Melbourne, with whom he remained until 1893. With economic recession on the east coast, in 1894 Edwin moved to seek opportunity in gold-boom Western Australia. He designed the 1897 section of Princess Chambers.
George Temple-Poole (1856-1934) was the superintendent of public works in WA from 1885. As such, he designed: the Cliff St Post Office; southern extensions to the Asylum; South Fremantle Post Office, the Harbourmaster's house on Arthur Head.
(Clarence) Wilkinson & (E.H. Dean) Smith designed: the NSW Bank building, 1899, cnr High and Cliff Sts; Phillimore Chambers, 1899, at 11 Phillimore St and 2-4 Cliff St; the Bank of Australasia, 18 High Street. Wilkinson, Smith & Wilson designed the (second) Literary Institute (Evan Davies building), South Terrace, 1896. (The articles on Clarence Wilkinson and Dean Smith at www.architecture.com.au have been made unavailable to non-members. In fact, so has the whole history section.)
Abbott & Rennie built the Moores building at 42-46 Henry Street, the Tramways Car Barn at 1 High Street.
Herbert Abbott built the Water Police Station and Quarters on Marine Parade.
Aslin & Warner built the 'old' Customs House, 1908, Phillimore St.
Atkins & Law built the Orient Hotel, 1902.
Blackman Bros. built the Victoria Pavilion Fremantle Oval, 1897.
Bradley & Rudderham built the Commercial Hotel, 1908, 80 High St.
The Bunning brothers, Robert and Arthur, built additions to the Asylum in 1886 and 1890, the hospital and post office at Roebourne, the soapworks at Rocky Bay, the Weld Club.
James Brownlie built the Falk Building, cnr Phillimore and Henry Sts, 1896, 1903.
L. Burness built: the (second) Literary Institute (Evan Davies building), South Terrace, 1896; the King's Theatre, South Tce.
H.C.H. Carter built the Cleopatra Hotel, 24 High St, 1907.
C. Coghill built the Adelaide Steamship Building, 1900.
Robert Hannah built St Patrick's Basilica, 1900.
J.J. Harwood built: the (third) courthouse, Marine Parade; the Kerosene Store (Kidogo).
John Hurst built Samson House to J.J. Talbot Hobbs's design.
Kinnaird built the Fremantle Markets, 1898.
G.C. Knight built Birkdale House.
Richard Lewis built the Round House, 1831.
J. McCracken built the Adelec building, 28-36 High St.
C. Moore built the Princess Theatre, 1912, 29-33 Market Street, warehouse and offices in Bay Street, a factory and showrooms for Instone and Co, Essex Street (1906), and Strelitz Bros premises, Henry Street (1906).
Petrie & Doig built the Scots Church, 1898.
Richard Rennie built: Central Chambers, 1906, 61-63 High St; Owston's Building, 1903, 9-23 High St; the National Hotel, 1895; five of the goods sheds on the wharf; Manning's Chambers, 1906, including the Majestic Theatre; the National Bank, 1887; part of Beaconsfield Primary; the Bushells factory; and four houses between Stirling and Ord Sts. He also rebuilt the Swan Hotel, 1923, and completed the War Memorial in 1928.
Reynolds built the Freemasons Hotel (Sail & Anchor), 1903.
Thomas William Whiteley built the Carroll house (now the Left Bank) in 1899-1900.
Hutchison, David, Fremantle Walks. Many of the data in this page come from this book, which is much more than just a walking guide.
Offen, Richard 2018, Lost Perth, Pavilion Books, London.
Western Australian Architect Biographies @ Aust Inst Architects website - these pages are no longer available. I'm guessing that if they still exist that you can now only access them if you're a member.
Some architects based in Fremantle include Mark Zuvela, Emma Williamson and her partner Kieran Wong (The Fulcrum Agency), Matt Delroy-Carr (of MDC Architects), Jennie Officer (Officer Woods) and Dimmity Walker (spaceagency), as well as DesignFreo founder and creative director Pippa Hurst.
Garry Gillard | New: 22 August, 2016 | Now: 24 July, 2023